The School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics at the University of Cape Town seeks to appoint a Programme Convenor of the Master in Philosophy in Conservation of the Built Environment programme. This is a teaching-track, part-time position (24 hours per week) at the level of a Senior Lecturer.
The duties of the Programme Convenor entail the provision of intellectual direction to the programme, overseeing the administration of the programme, the coordination of part-time teaching staff and supervisors, and the teaching of course content and supervision of postgraduate students.
Today, at a time of exciting change within the School and the University, we are seeking a candidate:
• with demonstrable knowledge and experience in professional heritage resource management.
• with an interest in heritage studies and/or conservation of the built environment and/or heritage resource management.
• with an interest in, and passion for, the teaching of cultural critiques and research methods.
• with an ability to teach at the intersection of different disciplines through workshops and seminars to postgraduate students from a wide range of disciplines and professional experiences.
• who can bring leadership and new perspectives to our academic community in ways that are responsive to the broad social, economic and environmental transformational needs of this programme and the institution.
Requirements for the position:
• An undergraduate degree in architecture, planning, archaeology or a cognate discipline
• A master’s degree in heritage studies or related field with formal training in conservation or heritage resource management
• 5 years’ professional experience in heritage studies, heritage resource management, and/or conservation of the built environment
• Proven teaching experience at the undergraduate and/or graduate level
• Experience in supervision of postgraduate students
The annual remuneration package for 2022, including benefits, is R581 343.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at email@example.com:
• UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc);
• a 1-2 page statement of interest specifying the relevance of the applicant’s experience to the programme with a description of research, teaching, heritage resource management experience, etc;
• a detailed curriculum vitae; and
• a digital portfolio of representative work and/or publications.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo competency assessments.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E220299
Closing date: 15 August 2022
UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups including candidates with disabilities. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/policies/employ_equity.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.