PEGASYS is an advisory group focusing on developmental impact in emerging economies. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, helping them manage natural resources and develop vital public infrastructure. We are head-quartered in Cape Town, South Africa. We address global issues, but our work is focussed and delivered predominantly in South, East and West Africa.
PEGASYS has built a globally recognised track-record of assisting governments, international financial institutions, and private clients & investors in responding to urban development, resilience and planning challenges. We are now looking to recruit a Principal: Urban Design into our Cape Town office to join our Urban Design Team.
At PEGASYS you will find a stimulating, diverse and team-based work environment that offers scope for professional growth and innovation. Our team is passionate about improving the public environment and committed to making a difference to settlement design, planning and implementation. We are involved in a wide range of public and private sector projects. These include policy and guideline development and the design and implementation of urban strategies and masterplans, to significantly influence the economic, environmental, social, and cultural outcomes of a location.
Principal: Urban Design role
• Full-time position
• Location – Cape Town
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Will include but not be limited to:
• Leading client engagements focusing on strategy and policy formulation processes in collaboration with the Urban Design Management Team.
• Acting as hub of expertise on evolving Urban Design policy issues, for clients and internal teams.
• Managing teams of consultants and external experts to deliver client assignments in a fast-paced international environment and owning project deliverables.
• Playing an active role in driving the growth of our Urban Design team through business acquisition, through direct sales activities and responding to tendered public sector opportunities.
• Building & maintaining active networks with technical partners & clients.
• Producing high quality research and analysis on Urban Design policy & strategy.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A Master’s Degree in Urban Design, recognised by The Urban Design Institute of South Africa (UDISA) or a Masters in Architecture and proven portfolio of urban design work sufficient to qualify for recognition by UDISA.
• A strong thematic focus on and academic grounding in environmental sustainability, especially Urban Design (including exposure to both climate adaptation and climate mitigation issues).
• 6 + years’ experience in urban design with a demonstrated ability to manage projects.
• Public and private sector project experience as an Urban Designer is essential.
• Experience in providing both research and advisory services on Urban Design in frontier markets (Africa experience will be particularly valued).
• The ability to manage complex urban design projects across a range of scales.
• A demonstrated capability to work independently with clients, initiate and manage projects, facilitate stakeholder engagement, structure documents, prepare and make presentations and meet deadlines.
• Exceptional 2 dimensional and 3D graphic and design with a demonstrated ability to sketch and draw by hand.
• Experience in AutoCAD, GIS, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Sketchup.
• Excellent professional written communication & presentation and report writing skills
• Demonstrated project management expertise and competence with basic project management software and tools.
• Experience working with Multilateral Development Institutions (including development partners).
• Demonstrable experience leading strategy and policy formulation processes.
• Exposure to Urban Design projects or assignments in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
• Foreign language proficiency in French or Portuguese.
• Revit or similar capabilities
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics in the candidate, including but not limited to:
• Self-motivated, self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with minimal supervision or guidance.
• An energetic problem-solver, who is open-minded with multi-perspective views on development finance, governance, systems, policies and broader developmental issues.
• Strong financial acumen and the ability to interpret and apply financial information.
• A team player who is productive working in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
• Desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed and hard-working individuals can have a significant impact
• Comfortable with public speaking and equipped with strong presentation skills.
• Intent to develop as a globally recognized subject matter/domain expert in urban design.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Closing date: 12 September 2022