GAPP is looking for a self-motivated, confident and creative urban designer with public and private sector project experience to join our dynamic and well-respected Urban Design team. The position is for a full time SENIOR URBAN DESIGNER to join our Cape Town office.
At GAPP you will find a stimulating, diverse and team-based work environment that offers scope for personal and professional growth and innovation. Our team is passionate about improving the public environment and committed to making a difference to settlement design, planning and implementation in Southern Africa. We are involved in a wide range of public and private sector projects ranging from policy and guidelines to the design and implementation of urban design at a range of scales. GAPP works in a hybrid office model which allowing staff the flexibility to work both at home and in an office environment.
A Master’s Degree in Urban Design, recognised by UDISA, is an essential requirement. You must also have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in urban design and a demonstrated ability to manage projects. You must be able to manage complex urban design projects across a range of scales. We’re looking for someone with a demonstrated capability to work independently with clients, initiate and manage projects, facilitate stakeholder engagement, prepare and make presentations and meet deadlines.
You should be a self-motivated, highly organised person with strong design capabilities, drawing and graphic ability, project coordination and report writing skills to work on our broad range of urban design and spatial planning projects.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Your key duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Project management and co-ordination of Urban Design projects from inception to final completion
• Manage, co-ordinate and carry out Urban Design production including research, analysis, drawings, reports and presentations
• Manage and carry out general Urban Design project administration including project meetings and stakeholder engagement
• Collaborate and co-ordinate technical design inputs with other consultants, clients and project stakeholders
• Assist with tenders, fee proposals and the development of other business opportunities within the practice
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The following qualifications and experience is essential:
• A postgraduate degree in Architecture or Town Planning
• A postgraduate qualification in Urban Design recognised by the Urban Design Institute of South Africa (UDISA_ with a minimum of 5 years working experience. Registration with UDISA as a professional Urban Designer is preferred.
• Exceptional graphic, design (3D) communication, presentation and report writing skills with a demonstrated ability to sketch and draw by hand
SKILLS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
You should demonstrate the following skills and personal attributes:
• You should be able to learn new programmes quickly and a demonstrated literacy in standard industry software including Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, SketchUp and the Adobe Suite (InDesign and Illustrator) is essential;
• GIS and/or Revit competence would give applicants a strong competitive edge
• Training in our company timekeeping and project financial management system will be provided
• Ability to work independently, plan and manage work under pressure
• Ability to work flexibly and if required to move across the various projects in the Urban Design office portfolio with ease
• Take responsibility for and perform the role of lead urban designer on assigned projects
• Build good relationships between client and consultant team members
• Communicate and present complex urban design concepts
• Establish and implement time management processes on projects
• Work within a team as well as demonstrate team co-ordination and leadership abilities
• Attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and consistency at all times
We offer competitive salaries, commensurate with your qualification and level of experience
If you are interested in the above vacancy, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Senior Urban Designer CTN:
• your CV and a short letter of motivation
• Contact details of 3 references, and
• PDF selection of your best and most relevant work (*If projects examples are provided of work done in collaboration with others- please specify which sections of the product you were directly responsible for.)