Job shadowing opportunities on offer
We are offering job shadowing opportunities for high school students, tertiary institution students and City of Cape Town staff who are currently studying. The job shadowing will take place over 1 – 5 days, during the respective school or university holidays. Job shadowing for staff will take place at an agreed upon time, once the application is sent and approved.
This is a great opportunity to follow a professional for a few days to observe their day-to-day work, and a way to interrogate what a career entails.
How to apply
All students will need to be a South African citizen living in Cape Town, and will also need the following documents:
• A completed job shadow application form either for high school/university students or staff currently studying.
• A certified copy of their ID (not older than 3 months)
• A letter from the school/ tertiary institution requesting job shadowing and the duration (1 – 5 days)
• A signed letter from their parent/legal guardian confirming permission (does not apply to staff members)
• A short CV (containing the contact numbers of the parent/legal guardian/educator/lecturer).
For all external requestors, the application, along with the accompanying documents, should be sent to:
• Student.Opportunities@capetown.gov.za and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For internal staff, the application, along with the accompanying documents, should be sent to:
• Nondumiso Jali: Nondumiso.email@example.com or Christine Nel: Christineelizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students should submit applications at least two weeks before the holiday period in which the student wants to job shadow. Staff members can submit throughout the year.
Please note: These are unpaid positions, and the City will not cover transport or food-related costs.
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Nondumiso Jali: Nondumiso.email@example.com or Christine Nel: Christineelizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.