Architecture is the most visible and public of the arts. An important function of the South African Institute of Architects (SAIA) and all the regional Institutes is to recognise and promote excellence in architecture and to create public awareness and debate on architectural issues. The awards programme is in support of these goals, and runs in two stages over a two year period.
During the first stage, the Regional Institutes invite submissions, appoint and convene a panel of jurors to decide the regional Awards for Architecture and eligible projects to be submitted for national consideration.
The second stage of the programme starts at the end of 2017 with the submission of entries by the regional panels of assessors for consideration of the SAIA Award of Merit and the SAIA Award for excellence.
The CIfA Award for Architecture is made to encourage and recognise good design or a noteworthy contribution in the field of architecture in the Region. It may be for:
* a new building or group of buildings;
* a work of technological importance;
* the conservation, restoration and / or rehabilitation (refurbishment) of existing buildings, historic precincts or areas;
* a work of social importance, other than a building, for which the member or architectural practice was appointed as the architect;
* research in the field of architecture.
CIfA AWARD FOR ARCHITECTURE 2017 RECIPIENTS
• Louwville High School – 2-AD Space Architects Inc
• Community Residential Unit Development Langa – Architects Associated
• New Residence: 151 Main Road, Constantia – Malan Vorster Architecture, Interior Design
• New Residence: 191 Kloof Road, Clifton – Malan Vorster Architecture, Interior Design
• House Burnett Prinsloo – Robert de Jager Architects
• Bosjes: Chapel – Steyn Studio in Collaboration with TV3 Architects & Town Planners